Wednesday, October 10, 2012

First Encounter


During my eighth grade year, I was acquaintances with a girl who claimed to be lesbian.  In a small town like where I am from, this is big news.  The rumors spread like wild fire through the school and town.  Many parents and students did not believe her and ridiculed her saying that she did not know what sex was and that she was too young and immature to know who she was sexually attracted to.  They all claimed that she was only going around spouting off that she was gay for attention; she did not really mean it.  After all of the drama, she then said she was bisexual.  This of course spurred yet another round of ridicule.  How could you be attracted to both guys and girls?  That was neither acceptable nor possible.  I could not understand why people were having such a conniption over this girl.  I, personally, had no problem with her.  She was still a girl who woke up each morning like the rest of us.  She went to school and did her homework.  She was not given any special privileges.  Who am I to judge her on whom she chooses to spend her time with?  It is not my place to tell her who she can or cannot see, just like it is not her place to tell me who I can or cannot see.  There is someone out there for everyone.  Whether that is a man or a woman, I do not know.

3 comments:

  1. I had similar circumstances happen to girls who came out at my school. I went to an all girls school so when someone identified as being lesbian or bisexual, shit hit the fan basically. It would be a hot topic for weeks and I'm sure this girl would get constant stares in the hallways. It was upsetting to me as well. Who cares...seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Everyone has their own preference and that has nothing to do with anyone else. It a shame how people are so quick to ridicule and speak bad about someone that's doing something they don't like or approve of especially if it has nothing to do with them. Let them live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your mindset. In my eyes growing up, yes it was different and confusing when I heard about a person considering themselves to be gay, but it did not affect the way I though about them. A person is a person, and who was I to tell him or her how he or she is supposed to behave or feel? They just went along with life and I followed suit. I would never want to make someone feel uncomfortable because of the emotions they feel.

    ReplyDelete